Back to all yachts

CERIGO

Year1926 August
International RuleSecond Rule
Current Statusunknown
Current Locationunknown (Virgin Islands ?)
Current Countryunknown
DesignerW. & R.B. Fife
Design / Project#746
BuilderW. Fife & Son
Length Overall20.12 m.
Waterline13.10 m.
Beam3.70 m.
Draught2.59 m.
Sail Area143 sq.m. - 164 sq.m. (1965)
Construction
Original OwnerLeon Becker
Original NameCERIGO
Original Country
Original HomeportAntwerp
Original Sail NumberK 12
Other Sail NumbersB 1
Owner Details & History

Built according to the International Second Rule

1926 - 1933 Leon Becker - name: Cerigo - home port: Antwerp (Belgium). Rig: Bermudan Cutter.

1934 - 1936 Dr. T.H. Ward - home port: Dartmouth (Canada). Engine installed in 1935.

1937 - 1946 Robert A. O'Brien. Rig altered and engine removed < 1946.

1947 - 1948 Schalburg & Co. Altered to Bermudan sloop.

1948 - 1951 Ernst Schalburg.

1951 - 1956 Dr. Andrew Tindal - home port: Glasgow (Great Britain) and Dartmouth (Canada). She was said still sailing without an auxiliary engine; she had to be towed through the Crinan Canal when making a passage to and from the West Coast. May Fife reports that she was frequently sailed by Professor Alexander Thom, a relative of the Tindals, an archeo astronomer, best known for his study of megalithic stone circles. According to his theory, Stone Age people were able to use Pythagorean geometry, and they had devised a unit of measurement which he called "the Megalithic Yard". It seems that many of these observations were made when sailing round the islands of the West Coast of Scotland. Once he sailed Cerigo from Brixham to the Clyde, taking seven days for the passage.

1957 Mrs. Alex McGlasham. Engine installed in 1957.

1958 - 1960 Mr. & Mrs. Alex McGlasham. 1961 - 1963 John Maitland - home port: Portsmouth (Great Britain) and Dartmouth (Canada).

1964 - 1970 M.me G. Le Saux Jouany & Julian Dame - home port: La Rochelle (France),

1965: Pointe Pitre (Virgin Islands).

1971 - 1972 Registered with Lloyd's but with no name given.

1973 Disappeared from the Lloyd's Register. She was moored at St. Thomas in the US Virgin Islands. Her then owners (unknown) were in debt and a US Marshal's lien was in place on her. During the lengthy time she was at anchor she was pillaged of much easily removable equipment. Among the items stolen was the sink; in the heat the rubber pipe formerly connected to the sink bent until its end was below the waterline; naturally water then flowed in and sank her.

1974 - 1977 Malcom Precious - home port: Virgin Gorda (US Virgin Islands). She was raised, partly restored and sailed and chartered by Malcom, Roy and Margaret Precious in the British Virgin Islands. In 1977, she was at anchor in Virgin Gorda Yacht Harbour, with no one aboard, there was a fire, apparently of electrical origin, which spread rapidly to the paint locker. By the time the fire was discovered it was beyond control. To protect other vessels her mooring lines were cut and she drifted into the harbour entrance where she sank.


All rights reserved. No part of this Register may be reproduced in any form by any graphic, electronic or mechanical means, including photocopies, nor can any registration of information within be recorded, without the written authorization of the authors Wm. H. Dyer Jones and Luigi Lang.