Back to all yachts

TYCOON

Year1928 May
International RuleSecond Rule
Current Statusdestroyed
DesignerBurgess, Rigg & Morgan Ltd.
BuilderAbeking & Rasmussen
Construction/Hull#2364
Length Overall21.09 m.
Waterline13.03 m.
Beam3.87 m.
Draught2.58 m.
Sail Area183 sq. m.
Constructionwood on steel frames
Original OwnerClifford D. Mallory
Original NameTYCOON
Other NamesZio (1936) - Arundel (1940) - Trull (1954)
Original CountryUS
Original HomeportGreenwich, CT
Original Sail NumberUS 3
Owner Details & History

Built according to the International Second Rule

She is one of the six Twelve Metre ordered by the New York Yacht Club, designed by William Starling Burgess for delivery to American owners and built by Abeking & Rasmussen. The purpose was to have six yachts built exclusively for regatta for comparison sailing in the Club. Hulls were the same but deck layout, interior arrangements and rigs varied among the six yachts. The construction was composite that means that every second frame through the entire length of the hull was made of galvanized steel, the floor plates included. Planking was in Honduras mahogany, quite popular in that period. They were rapidly built in serial production in only five months and all together they were shipped to Halifax, in Canada. Once there, they were rigged and sailed to the United States, avoiding to pay a heavy import tax. Tycoon was completed in May 1928. The other yachts were: Waiandance, Isolde, Anitra, Iris and Onawa. Only Onawa and Anitra have survived.

1928 - 1935 Clifford D. Mallory - name: Tycoon - home port: Greenwich (Great Britain). Rig: Bermudan cutter, altered to sloop in 1931. Mr. Mallory was one of the founders of the American Yacht Racing Union (now US Sailing). In honor of Mr. Mallory, the cover of the annual book published by NAYRU was embossed with a gold seal showing the profile of Tycoon and her sail number 3. She was the best of the six A&R Twelves and she won the 12 Metre Long Island Sound Championship in 1928 and 1929 and the 12 Metre Class at Larchmont Race Week in 1928, 1929 and 1930. In 1928 she had: 8 firsts and 3 seconds out of 14 starts; in 1929, 3 firsts and 1 second out of 6 starts and in 1930, 5 firsts and 1 third out of 7 starts.

1936 - 1939 Herbert T. von Frankenberg - new name: Zio home port: Larchmont, NY (USA). Engine installed 1936.

1940 - 1953 A. Atwater Kent, Jr. - new name: Arundel home port: Philadelphia, PA and Bar Harbor, ME (USA). Repowered in 1950.

1954 Photoswitch Marine Div. Inc (Arthur G.B. Metcalfe, Pres.) new name: Trull - home port: Marblehead, MA (USA). 1954 Destroyed in harbor at Marblehead by Hurricane Carol. The Boston Globe has published in 1954 a spectacular photo showing Trull burning during the hurricane.


All rights reserved. No part of this Register may be reproduced in any form by any graphic, electronic or mechanical means, including photocopies, nor can any registration of information within be recorded, without the written authorization of the authors Wm. H. Dyer Jones and Luigi Lang.