Back to all yachts

ZELITA

Year1933 April
International RuleThird Rule
Current Statusbroken up
DesignerW. & R.B. Fife
BuilderW. Fife & Son
Construction/Hull#800
Length Overall20.42 m.
Waterline14.02 m.
Beam3.53 m.
Draught2.74 m.
Sail Area187 sq.m.
Construction
Original OwnerG.F. Carrington
Original NameZELITA
Original CountryGB
Original HomeportGreenock
Original Sail NumberK 9
Owner Details & History

Built according to the International Third Rule

1933 Arthur C. Connell - name: ZELITA - home port: Greenock (GB) - rig: Bermudan sloop Mr. Connell (partner of an old established Clyde shipbuilding company) had already owned Zinita and Zoraida and later owned Westra and Ornsay. The 1933 season started up on the Clyde and Zelita debut was discouraging as she was always behind Veronica and Iyruna. She was dismasted during the last race. Before sailing for the South she underwent some structural alterations and stepped a new mast; no better results were achieved in the Cowes Week but her tune up progressed and she performed much better in the last races of the year. At the end of the season, she was fifth with 29 starts and 3 firsts, 8 seconds and 6 thirds. At the end of the year Zelita was for sale

1934 - 1939 G.F. Carrington Under the new ownership, in 1934 Zelita did not perform better with a fifth placement. Out of 27 starts she had 1 first, 4 seconds and 3 thirds. No better results in 1935 with again a fifth placement with 1 first out of 24 starts

<1946-1955 G.S. Payne - engine installed in 1949 - RORC rating: 50'89

1956 - 1960 no name or port given

1961 - 1964 Lemar S.A. - home port: Barcelona (Spain) and Panama - re-powered <1961 According to Real Club Nautico de Barcelona the yacht was owned by Miguel Hostench and a photo on the 125th Year Book of the Club shows Zelita sailing in the Mediterranean 1965 disappeared off Lloyd's Register

1966 - middle Eighties owner unknown, the yacht was transferred to the San Remo (Italy) Porto Vecchio where she remained for years moored, apparently abandoned and progressively deteriorating. At the beginning of the Eighties (?) she was transferred in the new San Remo Marina (Porto Sole) and sized by the Customs Authority, it is said for a spying story involving the Italian Navy; damaged in her stern, she was taken off the water and put on the quay, very closed to be considered a wreck; sha has been demolished in the middle of the Eighties.


All rights reserved. No part of this Register may be reproduced in any form by any graphic, electronic or mechanical means, including photocopies, nor can any registration of information within be recorded, without the written authorization of the authors Wm. H. Dyer Jones and Luigi Lang.