Back to all yachts


Year1936 June
International RuleThird Rule others
Current Statusgood
Current LocationEdinburg, Scotland
Current CountryGB
DesignerCharles E. Nicholson
BuilderCamper & Nicholson Ltd.
Length Overall19.30 m.
Waterline13.71 m.
Beam3.78 m.
Draught2.77 m.
Sail Area149 sq.m. - 146 sq.m. (1963)
Original OwnerIsaac Bell
Original CountryGB
Original HomeportPoole
Original Sail NumberK 101
Other Sail Numbers(RORC Sail number)
Owner Details & History

One of the Nicholson ocean racers built to the International Third Rule but never classed, measured or raced as a 12m R.

1936 - 1939 Isaac Bell - name: Bloodhound - home port: Poole - rig: bermudan yawl. She is the second of the three ocean racers (the others being Foxhound and Stiarna) designed by Nicholson to conform to the Ocean Racing Rule and to the Twelve Metre Class of the International Rule. They are built from the same hull design. The owner is a wealthy american citizen living in Great Britain, who also owned Foxhound. Just after her sale, Bell commissioned a new boat from Nicholson of the same design although with some slight differences in the deck and interior plans. The yawl rig was designed by Olin Stephens in an unique collaboration with Nicholson, remained largely unknown. In the 1936 season she won the Morgan Cup, the Channel Race and was second in the Benodet Race. In 1939 she again won the Channel Race and the Fastnet.

1939 - 1947 Patrick G. Egan & Lt. Cdr. G.C. Hans Hamilton - home port: Southampton - RORC rating (1937): 43 92 - during the war the yacht was kept laid up at Gosport; at the end of hostilities, she was back racing winning two firsts, one second and one third during the Cowes Week.

1948 - 1962 M.D.N. Wyatt (Admiral of the RORC) - engine installed in 1956 - in 1949 she again won the Fastnet and the North Sea Race and was second in the Morgan Cup. In 1952 she finished second in the Bermuda Race. In 1956, during the Channel Race, she was caught by the notorious hurricane while leading the fleet on the return leg. When the wind suddendly accelerated, it blew out sail after sail. Wyatt, his daughter and the crew had to abandon the boat due to engine failure; she was found the following day, damaged but afloat, and towed back to port.

1962 - 1969 The Queen and Prince Philip Duke of Edinburgh - home port: Cowes - RORC rating: 40 79 - re-powered in 1962 and 1968 - Prince Philip was looking for a larger yacht than his Dragon Bluebottle to accommodate his family. Two boats were chosen: Bloodhound and Latifa. The first was chosen because less expensive and possessed tiller steering, which was one of Prince Philip specific request. Rig and interior layout plans were modified by John Illingworth: he cut the rig down slightly and replaced the wooden masts with aluminum ones. The interiors were modified to acommodate the Royal family and to encourage the clubs to employ her for youth training when the prince was not aboard. Bloodhound covered more than 45.000 miles during the eight years of the Royal ownership.

1970 - 1977 R. Coureau.

1978 Disappeared from the Lloyd's Register.

1978 - 2002 Robert Cook - home port: Southampton (Great Britain) and Cannes (France). She entered in the Mediterranean Classic yachts circuit and appeared at the America's Cup Jubilee in 2001 at Cowes.

2002 - 2009 Tony McGrail, a Poole-based surveyor and yacht builder - home port: Poole. The yacht underwent a complete restoration with the replacement of 60 steel frames, refastening the planks and splining the underwater ones; the topside planking was replaced with Honduras mahogany; a new teak deck laid on plywood. In 2005 the yacht was for sale at 1,7.

Since 2009 The Royal Yacht Britannia Trust - home port: Edinburgh (Great Britain). She has been bought and she will join the Royal Yacht Britannia in exhibit in Edimburgh(Scotland).

All rights reserved. No part of this Register may be reproduced in any form by any graphic, electronic or mechanical means, including photocopies, nor can any registration of information within be recorded, without the written authorization of the authors Wm. H. Dyer Jones and Luigi Lang.